Sunday, July 20, 2008

Favre's Identity Crisis

Poor Brett Favre. He's having a hard time letting go; moving on. He's had a spectacular career leading the Green Bay Packers and nearly ended his "final" season with a championship. For reasons known only to him and those closest to him, he announced his retirement at the end of last season. He was hanging up his cleats and would wish his team well as they played on with another man to propel them toward victory. But what's that you say? He changed his mind?

Unfortunately for poor Brett (and some of his ardent fans) the team management took him at his word and they had truly moved on. The plan for their team's future was established and in full progress...and this plan had no room for another quarterback.

What's a displaced sports legend to do? He's still a great player, albeit an aging one, and would likely be an assett to some team, somewhere. But why? Why would he put himself in that spot...being the new guy to fit in, being subjected to bodily poundings, learning new plays, moving to another state? Moving HIS FAMILY to another state. Is he desperate for money? I think his millions will hold him over for quite a while, so no, money isn't the motivator.

I believe that, like so many star athletes, his identity is so intrinsically tied to being a football player that he felt very lost when the reality of retirement set in. This purposelessness that he may be feeling isn't reserved soley for athletes or even just for the rich and famous, although for them it is compounded by a huge reduction in public attention/interest. (Brett Who?)

When any person retires, or loses a job for other reasons, the transition can be challenging. I've heard people say they get up in the morning and don't know what to do with themselves. They feel somewhat useless and even a bit invisible. Yuck! No wonder Bret wants back in. No wonder my dad and my father-in-law began immediately working in our family businesses upon their retirments. We need them and they need to feel productive, purposeful; a part of something.

My life is still in the busyness, full throttle stage. Every day I have loads of things people are expecting me to accomplish. I like keeping busy. I like doing a job well. I like being appreciated. I try to keep some of my energies focused on activities that fulfill those goals which are not work related. Things I can keep doing for many years without thought (or threat) of retirement. As a Christian, my most important source of identity is in Christ: How He sees me, Listening for/and following the plans He sends my way. Without that, I might be calling the Packers to see if they have any openings!
Any thoughts on Favre, identiy, retirement or intentional living?
Diane Markins
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Famous, the Infamous, the Lame - in your browser. Get the TMZ Toolbar Now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Famous, the Infamous, the Lame - in your browser. Get the TMZ Toolbar Now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Famous, the Infamous, the Lame - in your browser. Get the TMZ Toolbar Now!

No comments: