Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fed up with Politics

I’m fed up with politics. While I’m terribly concerned about who is going to be running our country for the next four years, I’m tired of hearing all the crap that is being tossed back and forth via the media. It doesn’t end there either. Whether you are out to dinner with friends, at a neighborhood pub or a sports event, every conversation leads to the election. I’ve almost entirely boycotted any political news and firmly put my foot down when friendly conversations turn to that topic. I’m over it!

We all have our opinions and convictions. Mine are that Obama is a charismatic, charming puff of air. McCain aligns much closer to what I believe but not entirely and he sometimes lacks energy and pizzazz. Biden is dashing and warm, but (as my dad would say) seems to be “anybody’s dog that’ll hunt with him.” I really like Palin but can’t seem to distinguish her from Tina Fey. Palin’s the one I’d love to sit down and visit with in a pair of jeans.

None of them can be authentic right now. Every syllable is being recorded and analyzed to be used as ammunition. Nothing like your own words to tell a negative story, so their words are carefully selected and delivered like Christmas presents. I just wish we could shake the package a little and take a quick peek inside. No one can afford to be really honest and let their souls shine through for even a brief moment…and I don’t blame them. It would be campaign suicide.

The other thing that really bugs me is the enormous amount of money being spent to convince that small percentage of people in our country who haven’t made up their cotton-pickin’ minds yet. Let’s face it; if you haven’t decided by now, you don’t really care very much. We’ve got more than enough clear information to know who represents our interests and desires best. Maybe those who are “undecided” are waiting for a bolt of lightning or worse, just waiting to see who will say something silly or have a bad hair day. This is the first time in US history that more than $1 billion was raised and is being spent on presidential campaigning. How can that be good or right when our country’s economy is collapsing?

Whether you are a registered Democrat, Republican or Independent, please make up your mind and let the pollsters know. Take an hour to read how the candidates have voted, what their beliefs are and a bit about their histories; pray for discernment and make a choice. This is all very critical and I don’t mean to make light of it, but as I so often have to remind myself, I’m not in control of this outcome. God is. Let’s all get back to living life and stop obsessing over that which is out of our hands. Are you fed up with it too or hungry for more?
Diane Markins

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane,

You are right on! I too am tired of all the rhetoric and lack of focus on issues rather than personality, charisma, etc. I do 'rant & rave' at times (as you well know); but less about matters politic than about a highly charged issue that one candidate supports. A "highly charged" issue that grieves my heart & lays at the base of most rants on the subject.

Since when did our political process begin 2 long years prior; cost billions of $$$ & make the assumptiong the majority of us are tone-death, dumb or stupid?

I too will be glad when it's over & I don't have to change channels every time a political ad comes on - from either side. I too wish it were again about 'issues' and not charisma, personality & what some call "boyish charm".

Finally, I recall famous words that begin something like this: "if My people who are called by My Name, will humble themselves & pray. . .

Thanks for a sane approach to a process that began gloriously & has become somewhat tarnished with age!

Blessings,
Linda S. Fitzgerald
http://www.affiliatedwomen.ning.com/

Diane Markins said...

Linda couldn't have summed up better!
For more of her insight, rants and inspiration see this post:
http://affiliatedwomen.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=2007188%3ATopic%3A3361

Anonymous said...

i agree completely that it's annoying and played out. i also agree that way too much attention is being paid to the presentation and not nearly enough to the content.

where i disagree is about tuning ourselves out. i think that attitude is almost syonymous with forfeiting. my view is that if the media is getting all these people around us riled up, then we better be there to combat the influence it has.

i'm tired of this too, but i'll be darned if i'm going to avoid the news and intentionally duck out of conversations just because i don't have the stamina the media have. in my humble opinion we have a responsibility as well as a very rare right to step up to the plate of (marithon) politics.

if this is what it's come to that's just too bad for us. most of the rest of the world would give their left arm or more to have the "inconvenience" that we're facing in keeping up with and enduring this.

God bless America! may He keep us, guide us, and protect us.

...and may we be wise enough and humble enough to pay attention to the path He's blazing for us.

--jeff

Diane Markins said...

OK,
Jeff. You have a great point and I'm so glad you that wonderful attitude to take the responsibility of fighting this battle to the end. I guess I am simply running out of steam. Maybe those with more stamina will pick up the pace and sprint to the end of this race with renewed energy and power. You go for it and I'll be grateful!

Joni Corby said...

I, too, am amazed that anyone actually listens to the ridiculous political ads that are saturating the airwaves these days. They are really a little bit insulting………. that these candidates think that I am so simple minded that I would just believe what’s said without checking things out on my own. Unbelievable. I have to say that I am comforted more than ever this election season by two Scriptures that keep coming to mind. Proverbs 21:1 ” The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will..” What a great reminder that no matter who our next president is, that our God holds that man’s heart in his hand. And we know that the purposes of the Lord will prevail no matter what. The other verse has been mentioned already. 2 Chronicles 7:14 “If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
Well, you know what, I AM one of God’s people, and I CAN humble myself and pray and seek God’s face and turn from MY wicked ways and rely on His promise to heal our land in HIS time. More than ever this is a time for prayer.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Diane!
Jane M.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until Obamma takes office and he delivers on his promise of change, maybe I'll get two dimes and a nickel.

Brad

Anonymous said...

Ditto Diane, never actually thought I'd be sick of the campaign cuz I'm such a news junkie but am SO ready for this to be over! And yes, the bottom line...we can only do our part, the rest is in Gods hands.

Anonymous said...

I guess our political season is a lot like the long Arizona summers...We forget every year just how long and difficult they are.

And that's a good thing, because when it comes back around you're almost looking forward to it.

I wonder who it will be in 2012.

Diane Markins said...

So true! As we are almost stunned at what it feels like not to be hot for the last few days and it seems like years since it was last cool, I think that's a perfect comparison.
It was interesting in the beginning of this race, but I'm pretty sure that was five minutes after President Bush beat what's his name.
In a few weeks one of these guys will be a distant memory while the other will be taking a prominent place in history. For good or bad, it will at least be interesting again for a while.