Saturday, May 30, 2009

Let God Speak!

He Knows Exactly What You Need to Hear
Does your prayer time seem a little lack-luster on occasion? I know mine does. God wants to hear from us. He expects us to show up and delights in the minutes we give solely to him. But once in a while it starts to feel a bit contrived and obligatory...going through the motions.

When this happens to me I change things up. There are probably a million and ten books on prayer so I'm not going to offer any brilliant new insights. When you can learn from people of great and renowned faith like Charles Stanley, Chuck Swindoll and Billy Graham, what could little ol' me have to add?

However, I will let you in on a little thing I have incorporated in some of my prayer time.

I let God speak to me, through me. Yeah, I know... you're thinking, "What did she just say?"

When I've done the usual; praising, examining my life, sharing it all with the Lord and still feel like I'm in the room alone I try letting Him talk to me. Based on many years of reading the Bible and getting to know God's ways, I speak out loud to me as though Jesus were uttering the words. If we follow what it says in Philippians 2:5, this becomes second nature. "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus."

It may sound a little wacky but there have been times God has revealed a deep truth, brought renewed joy, increased my faith and healed my wounded spirit through my own voice using His mind. 1st Corinthians 2:16 says, "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ." I simply give voice to what I believe God is telling me through His word.

But what if you don't have the time or place to be alone and share a verbal dialog with God? Write a letter from the Lord to you. It seems that just the right measure of encouragement, wisdom, conviction and peace will begin to appear on the paper as you allow your Father to speak intimately to you.

See a sample of this in a small excerpt from Ally Johnson's post at www.ResurrectedGirl.blogspot.com:

My precious child,
I am here. You are not alone. I have held you in my hands for all of the days of your life. I will move mightily and you will be amazed. Do not fear, do not doubt, trust in me and know that I am God. Be patient, I am working things you will never understand, and I am.
Dear one, turn your heart to me, and remember that I am not against you. I find you in my favor and because of where you are I will be able to move mountains. Do not question me, but allow me to work in my way in my timing.

Your words may not be as beautiful or poetic as Ally's but they will reflect your personality and God's heart; the message a very private one, for your eyes only.

If you're new to this journey of Christian faith and maybe don't know too much about God's character or what He might say to you, dig in and begin finding out. Maybe a book of Bible promises will help jump-start the process.

While the Lord cherishes hearing our praises and requests, He also longs to speak to us, saying exactly what we need to hear. Has God spoken to you lately? Comment below.

*This post also ran on Christian Broadcasting Network.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful, inspiring message. You are amazing!
Marlene

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,

I really liked this one. You were brave here, but this was important...people need to stretch their thinking about their relationship with God and how we can all be "inspired" You are almost stepping into my turf here ;-)

Mark Ireland
Author, Soul Shift: Finding Where the Dead Go